Common Signs You Need to Change Your Home Air Filter
Everybody knows that you have to replace your AC filters, but how many homeowners actually replace them as often as they should? If you are one of the many homeowners that forget to change their filter regularly, don't worry. You are not alone. While it is recommended that you change your air filter once per month, many people forget and let months - even years - go by without changing their filter. Sadly, failure to change your filter can lead to inefficient system performance - and even system damage - so it's best to schedule a reminder for yourself to change it if possible. Otherwise, you can always look out for these common signs you need to change your home air filter and change it as soon as you start to recognize any of these happening at your home.
Top 5 Signs You Need to Change Your Home Air Filter
- The filter is visibly dirty. This one goes without saying, but if you take a peek at your filter and it's clogged up with hair, dust, and dirt, it's time to replace the filter for a fresh one that is free of debris.
- Your home is filled with dust. A dirty filter won't be able to eliminate dust and dirt from your indoor air as efficiently, resulting in more dust found in and around common areas of your home.
- Allergy symptoms are worsening. If you or a family member is suffering from worsening allergies even while inside your home, there's a good chance your air filter is no longer working as well as it should and needs to be replaced.
- Something smells off. Anything from a burning smell to a mildew smell can mean that your AC system is clogged and in need of filter replacement. Replace your filter as soon as you notice any unpleasant or questionable odors.
- Your AC system is hot, hot, hot. When your filter is dirty, your AC system can't operate as efficiently and greater demands are placed on the system components, which can cause them to overheat. If your AC system feels hot to the touch, the first step is replacing your air filter.
For more information and other signs you need to change your home air filter, please contact the experts at Bill Bowers Air Conditioning & Heating. We serve residents in Tarpon Springs, Hudson, New Port Richey, Port Richey, Trinity, and the surrounding regions, and we look forward to serving you.